Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Former Aeros beat writer Scott Kaiser, 49, found dead

The headline says it all.
Scott Kaiser, my former colleague who had a passion for covering the Aeros when it was his job from 1999-2002, is dead at the age of 49.

Attached are two articles from the Katy newspaper (this one might make you cry) that give some details. He lived in Katy with his wife, and he had a daughter from a previous marriage.

Scott was very popular with most of the players on the team when he covered the Aeros. He was the beat writer arguably the three craziest years the team ever had. Three head coaches, two leagues, and several soap operas that will make you laugh, cry and wonder aloud of that could really happen in professional hockey.

Upon learning of his death, I got the word out to Dave Barr -- who in three years Scott covered the team -- was an assistant coach, head coach and general manager. In other words, he got to know Scott pretty well. I sent an e-mail to Dave and he wrote back right away with some kind words. He will be missed by everyone he worked with. That much is clear.

Like many people that met him, I learned a lot from Scott about how to cover hockey ... Like what matters, what doesn't and how to describe the turning point in a period, game or playoff series. In my opinion, it is the best job as a sports writer you can have.

I know I am very fortunate to have known him, and in a completely serious way, I am glad that he decided to leave the beat in the late summer of 2002. He went on to do better things, and he even wrote a book, which was a dream of his. But he left an opportunity for me to do the one thing that brings me more joy than anything else I do professionally.

For that, I cannot thank him enough, and there is no way I possibly could.

Rest in Peace, Scott. Forever.

5 comments:

artandhockey said...

Never having known the gentleman personally, it is nevertheless a very sad thing to die SO young. Our condolence to family and all his friends.

Ms. Conduct said...

Beautifully written, Andrew.

TxHockeyMom said...

Andrew, I'm so sorry to hear the loss but, am very touched by reading all the comments on the articles as well as your words. What a terrible loss, he sounds like an amazing person. My heart and prayers go out to his family and loved ones. I hope the fact that he was able to have such a positive impact on so many, many lives, will help ease their burden.

Forecheck said...

I met him a couple of times and he seemed to be a great guy.Scary when people younger than you die, and this isn't the only recent occurance in my life.

Michelle, MRHS Class of 2007 said...

He was my teacher and literary mentor for three years in high school. He made me believe I had talent and worth. He was the greatest teacher I have ever had the privilege to know.