Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Name that caption contest, Brusty style

Our friends at A.S.S. have done this before, and now it is our turn.
On the very bottom of this post is a picture, and we want you to turn in your caption that you think should go along with it.

We'll keep this open though the end of the weekend, so put on your thinking caps.

Now a little background ...

Sunday, I had a nice, relaxing (rare) day off, so I decided to take my son to a ball game. Rice was playing the TCU Horned Frogs at Minute Maid Park. We got there in the third inning with the Owls leading 1-0.

(Be sure to read John's recap and thoughts of the ENTIRE weekend here!)

After the Owls took a 3-1 lead later in the game, I decided to take my son, Caden, around the park to do a little exploring. So we get out to the bullpen, and lo and behold, there are several Aeros out there having a good time.

We chatted about baseball, and Danny Irmen was giving the bullpen catcher some good tips on *cough* life and stuff while one of the Owls' relievers was warming up. Barry Brust was kind enough to pose for this picture with Caden.

Barry Brust and Caden Ferraro

Barry, as always, was sporting one of his vintage NFL jerseys. In this case, I did not see the number,but it LOOKED like a Denver Broncos jersey.

After I took some crap for wearing a Detroit Tigers hat, we went to back to our regular seats to finish the game. The Owls scored two in the ninth to win the game, letting Irmen off the hook for helping the Rice reliever blow a key save.

To be fair, it was all in good fun. College baseball players get WAY more crap from the fans when they play at Olsen Field in College Station, even though Irmen would give them a good run for their money.

Now to our featured photo! In the game, Brust nearly caught a homerun ball with his hat. I saw the play happen from my seats down the third base line, but when Barry told me it was him, I had to find out if anyone took a picture. Well, here it is ... and it's very good.


Is this the last action shot we'll see of Barry Brust in Houston, Texas?
Now see, there is my entry for a caption ... what is yours?

18 comments:

Ms. Conduct said...

Oh Caden. You're so damn lucky, kid. *sigh*

Only caption I can think of is "guhhhhh brustyyyyyyy yummmmmmmm." Pretty sure that's not what you're after.

Chris Jerina said...

Barry: Maybe I should try this hat instead of a catcher next time!

(My word verification is "Spina"... first time I've ever seen an AHL player's name as the word.)

buddhafisch said...

Excuse me, Mr. Elander? Can I have your autograph? It's for my friend... uh... Barry."

Nick in New York said...

Hat save and a beauty!

Nick in New York said...

"..I KNEW I should have brought my goalie mask!"

Nick in New York said...

What am I doing? I don't even LIKE basketball!

Nick in New York said...

guys? You got my back, right? Guys? Irms? Hello?

Nick in New York said...

that guy gets any closer to me and I'm gonna slash the bejeesus outta him!

artandhockey said...

PUT it in there!

artandhockey said...

Put it in here!

Ms. Conduct said...

"Put it in here!"

I'm sorry but...

... that'swhatshesaid!

John Royal said...

I've got no caption. I just want to know why Anrdrew didn't link to my story regarding these baseball games as I spent the entire weekend at Minute Maid covering these games. http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2010/03/uh_baseball_classic.php

artandhockey said...

A clean mind....

Fred Trask said...

Missed it by ... (wait for it, wait for it, wait ... for ... it) ... a foot.

Sorry Barry.

Forecheck said...

Caption : And now for my version of a "hat trick".

Word verification "partind". In rural Texas, to join up with someone else. As in, "The Aeros are partind with the Minnesota Wild".

AiH said...

Area man caught panhandling for spare change at the wrong time and the wrong place.

carlslakepj said...

"You said WHAT happened in Chicago?"

Anonymous said...

"gie us it, ye wee fanny!"