I want to apologize. I know you come over here expecting to read lengthy analysis of each game with the hope that we can provide some answers. But I just don't feel like doing it tonight. Much the same, I guess, as the Aeros not feeling like playing hockey tonight.
That third period against the Barons was some of the worst hockey I've ever seen. And having Shaun Davis as the referee didn't make it any more bearable because that ass just refused to let the game end. I can't help thinking that this game wouldn't have turned into a game of chippy hits and fights if he would have made a point at sometime in the game, to assert some control over the game -- and no, calling five interference penalties on each team a period is not asserting control of the game. How this guy is still a referee amazes me, and frankly, expect for Jeff Smith who never calls penalties, I never notice the individual refs.
It's easy to forget, but at one point early in the third period the score was only 3-2 Oklahoma City, though I don't think anybody felt the Aeros were going to find a way to win. And it seems like, thinking back on it, that it was just mere minutes later that the score was 8-2 Barons.
So just a few thoughts in bullet fashion...
1. Where in the hell were the Ice Girls? Not that they have anything to do, but damn, don't tease us like that and have them one night and not the next.
2. Why is it that when Max Noreau fires a shot so hard that if flies through the net that the refs miss it, but when an opposing player does it like with tonight, the goal is counted? Yes, it was a goal -- Mike Yeo said afterwards there was no question it was a goal and Matt Hackett sure acted like it -- but damn it, Noreau's goals were no-doubt about it goals, too.
3. Yeo refused to put the blame for the loss on Matt Hackett, saying he was left out to dry way too much. And seeing how crappy the team played around him, that's probably correct.
4. Yeo did consider going with Anton Khudobin, but he said it seemed as if the Aeros were always shorthanded in the third, always killing a penalty, and that it just wouldn't be fair to Khudobin to throw him out in an unwinnable situation like that.
5. Seriously, is Shaun Davis the worst ref in the AHL or what?
6. Drew Bagnall got into a fight in the third period right after the Barons put up their seventh goal. From up top, it looked as if Linus Omark was taunting the Aeros bench after his goal and that things went from there. But Bagnall said he has no idea what Omark was doing. He just spotted something happening at the bench area and went after the biggest guy he could find. And it had nothing to do with the bench action. He was angry with himself and blaming himself for the seventh goal. What happened shouldn't have happened, he said: "I’m kind of embarrassed about it," he said.
7. We didn't talk to any other players, but I have the feeling they were just as embarrassed as Bagnall by that game.
8. What in the hell was that music thing during the first intermission? I'm as sick as the kid choirs as anybody, but really, if you get a band, make sure the lead singer can sing.
9. Where were the Ice Girls?
10. It was good to see Palmer Hestley at the game. Palmer was one of our media minders last year, and he put up with a lot from us, and from former members of the business office. Thanks again for the good work last year.
11. Of the Aeros six scratches, four were healthy scratches -- Jamie Fraser, Jarod Palmer, Kris Fredheim, and Brandon Buck. Make of that what you will.
12. After a good crowd on Saturday night, the crowd tonight looked like it was a Tuesday night game in December. Where was everybody, celebrating the Texans game, or something?
13. And for my closing music tonight, here's a classic from the original lineup of The Pretenders. And with the song, I'm throwing out a pop quiz. There's no prize for the correct answer except bragging rights. So here we go. What is the connection between The Pretenders and The Kinks, the stars of last night's video? (And no, The Pretenders covering The Kinks doesn't count).
Minnesota Wild @ Anaheim Ducks: Gamethread
3 hours ago