Houston Aeros 1994-2013: Thank you for all the great memories and two decades of great hockey and entertainment.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Honey Badgers

(If you're sensitive to a few F and S bombs, skip the video, but it's really funny...)

- watch more funny videos


I'm ripping this off from one of my favorite hockey bloggers, Katebits, who writes about the Sabres. Her take is that Nathan Gerbe is a honey badger, but I watched this and thought of the Aeros.

They stuck their head in the "house of bees" last night, kept getting stung, but they didn't give a shit! They were hungry! Nothing can stop the Aeros when they're hungry.

I have to confess, I couldn't even watch the game last night. I fully intended to dish out my $10 or whatever to AHL Live. But 7 p.m. rolled around and I thought, "John's there to report it. I've got him and others on Twitter. I've got the scoresheet. Why do I need more?"

Truth is, I knew it was going to get ugly and be stressful and even NOT watching, my palms were sweating and I was clicking refresh on Twitter and on the scoresheet over and over and holding my breath those final 28 seconds of sheer OMGness.

It was the digital equivalent of watching the game with my hands over my eyes and peeking through my fingers. I'm a wuss and the first to admit it.

I still can't bring myself to close the tab in my browser with the scoresheet on it though. I've even refreshed it a few times just to make sure it's still the same. That actually happened, right?

Couple of awesome things:

Not one person picked the Aeros in 4. Except maybe the team itself. However, I did jokingly pick them to win in 3, so if we're playing by Price is Right rules, I win.

Also, you're probably aware that the Maple Leaf Pub is hosting watch parties for away games, but you may not be aware that they even rented the space next to the bar in an effort to make the experience more comfortable, as it's not a huge bar to start with.

So if you're like me where you don't dig a super-crowded bar scene, you might check it out next round... if you don't just go ahead and drive to Austin (*ahem*)....

I remember back when they won in 2003 and Mr.C and I ventured out to SRO for those games. It's pretty fun to be with a bunch of people all pulling in the same direction when big shit goes down with your team.

Meanwhile, we can all relax and the boys can rest up and probably spend the day, like John, wondering what the hell there is to do in Peoria besides the strip club. Or maybe that's enough. I dunno.

Also, here's John's piece for the Press. Go check it out, honey badgers, so they'll want to keep running Aeros stories!

1 comment:

John Royal said...

The boys are on the way home. They had a bus out of Peoria about 9:30 or so, then were off to Chicago to catch an afternoon flight home.

I, however, still have no clue as to what I'm doing today.